Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Richie Havens - Follow

2-28-12  I had planned to get up and work at home this morning and get a run in early.  I changed my mind for two reasons.  First, it was 21 degrees this morning and the forecast was for sunny skies and a high of 55 degrees.  That sounded really nice.  The other reason is that I had several pressing things at work and really needed to get in early and get work done for some afternoon meetings.  So, I got up early and was on my way to the office at 7:15.  Turns out that was a good plan.  I went to the office and at 9:19 am I got a text message from the Delaware County Sherriff's alert system.  It said "Del Co Sheriffs is looking for 2 wht males 1w/ a blk sweatshirt and 1 w/ a grey sweatshirt with blonde hair if seen call 911 shut all open doors (End)".  Hmmm...Delaware County is big so I didn't think much of it.  Then I got an email from a 'communications lady' in Wedgewood.  She had an alert from the Sheriff, that said
9:00AM TUESDAY 9/28:      THE SHERIFF AND DEPUTIES ARE IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD RIGHT NOW LOOKING FOR 2 WHITE MALES WHO JUST ROBBED THE WEDGEWOOD TAVERN.    The suspects were running through backyards and then onto the Safari Golf Course.  Please lock your doors, close garage doors and be on the lookout.  One male had on a grey hoodie.  The other had a red cap on his head, which he may have removed.

Well, that is a horse of a different color.  Stratford is in my neighborhood.  The Safari Golf course is just across the street and both are areas where I run.  At 10:36 I got an updated alert saying that they had both suspects in custody.  I am really glad I went to the office.  I would have freaked out if I saw them running through my backyard and so would Heid.  I would definitely have known they were in my yard if they went this way because my dog doesn't miss a thing.


I am my Mother's daughter (and my Grandmothrer's granddaughter).  I changed my route a bit today so I could run by the scene of the the crime.  The thieves busted a hole in the brick wall of the Wedgewood Pub.  There is a service alley that runs behind the Kroger shopping center and I ran through the alley so I could see the hole in the wall.  They have it boarded up.  I wanted to take picurtes but the TV trucks were all there and I felt stupid stopping to take a picture.  I remember when Lakes Jewelry Store burned to the ground at the corner of Maple and Woodward in downtown Birmingham when we were kids.  Mom piled us all in the car to go watch.  Its in my blood.


Running was hard todya.  It seems now that it is a bit difficult to do my first short run following the long runs.  The first mile today was just plain hard.  I didn't have any pain.  My legs just felt tired.   One thing I have to remember, is that my favorite 3 mile run is the golf course, which is hilly, and maybe hills are not the right thing to do after the long run.  Flat is my friend.


Today, there are three children that are dead from the shootings in Chardon Ohio.  This is such a tragedy and I can't ever even begin to know the pain these families are going through.  I heard one man, I think a police or government official, remind everyone to hug their children if they haven't lately.  I do everyday.  Always hug your children good night, even if they are already asleep.


I don't normally listen to Richie Havens when I am running, but I felt like it today.  I first heard him, like many of us, in Woodstock.  Of course I wasn't there, but sure knew what was going on and loved the music and had the albums.  His music is not upbeat.  It doesn't make you giddy or happy, maybe content.  It doesn't make you run faster.  It doesn't make you want to dance or jump up and down.  What it does do is make you think and reflect.  It is powerful music, if you listen to the lyrics.   A quote from Richie: "I really sing songs that move me. I’m not in show business, I’m in the communications business. That’s what it’s about for me".

The rising smell of fresh-cut grass,
Smothered cities choke and yell with fuming gas;
I hold some grapes up to the sun
And their flavour breaks upon my tongue.
With eager tongues we taste our strife
And fill our lungs with seas of life.
Come taste and smell the waters of our time.
And close your lips, child, so softly I might kiss you,
Let your flower perfume out and let the winds caress you.
As I walk on through the garden, I am hoping I don’t miss you
If all the things you taste ain’t what they seem,
Then don’t mind me ‘cos I ain’t nothin’ but a dream.
The sun and moon both are right,
And we’ll see them soon through days of night
But now silver leaves on mirrors bring delight.
And the colours of your eyes are fiery bright,
While darkness blinds the skies with all its light.
Come see where your eyes cannot see.
And close your eyes, child, and look at what I’ll show you;
Let your mind go reeling out and let the breezes blow you,
Then maybe, when we meet, suddenly I will know you.
If all the things you see ain't what they seem,
Then don’t mind me ‘cos I ain’t nothin’ but a dream .
And you can follow; And you can follow; follow…


Those three children will never smell fresh cut grass again, never taste the sweetness of fresh grapes, never see the sun or moon, and they will certainly never have the opportunity to come in to their own and follow their dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment