Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Who - I Can See for Miles

1/5/12 - I have decided that running after work can be a risky plan.  I know myself too well and know that often times I don't leave work when I planned to.  Something comes up!  Its the nature of what I do.  I really pushed today to get home and out the door by 4:30 to run.  But I did it!  I also checked the sunrise and sunset times for January and February.  It is going to get easier soon.  But wait!  Just as the sun stays out longer, so will my runs gets longer, ha-ha, so it will all work hand in hand :).

What a beautiful afternoon.  It was about 45 degrees and sunny, although the sun was setting, so most of the time I was running in shaded areas.  I ran around Campden Lakes and passed several people out with dogs and baby buggies.  I really felt good and felt like I had a bounce in my step, a good feeling.  I also like having a planned, written down in my planner, distance.  Normally I set out to run 2,3 or 4 miles but then my mind starts telling me that I really should go further, so then I start changing my plan and if I don't meet my altered plan then I have this mental issue that I have failed my goal!  What a bunch of crap. I really like the freedom from my mind game that having a planned distance gives me.  I felt obligated to run 3 miles and only 3 miles, don't want to deviate from the PLAN.  I don't know that I will feel the same way when my planned distance is 18 miles, but time will tell.

I mentioned yesterday that my sister Kai is the one that got me going on this.  My other sister, Julie is also running.  Like me, she has not done this long of a race before.  The three of us ran a race together once before.  We got t-shirts that said "I Ran the Ruether".  It was a 5K and it was to celebrate the opening of a new stretch of I-696 in Detroit/Southfield area in December of 1989.  My Dad ran too.  Kai and dad did a great job.  Julie and I limped along, finished and then hurt for a couple of days.  I remember having to use the stairway railing to lower myself down the stairs at my parents house the next day, for a 5K!!! 

"I Can see for Miles" and miles and miles and miles.....not really, or at least not in my neighborhood.  But I envision that I will see for miles and miles and run for miles and miles in the next few months, so this song seemed fitting for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment