Sunday, April 22, 2012

Smash Mouth - All Star

4-22-12  34 days until Bayshore and I am not doing well and I am pretty upset about it.  I have worked so hard at this and have come so far.  I started getting really bad shin pain in my right leg a couple of days after I fell last weekend.  I really have no idea if it is even related.  It is my right leg.  I have had problems with shin splints for years but it was always in my left leg.  This does feel like really bad shin splints though.  I iced my leg a lot over the last few days and it was feeling perfect yesterday when I got up.  Yeah!  I was really glad about that.  Yesterday it was raining and windy and really cold.  The forecast for Sunday was no rain, no wind and a high of 50, low around 42 in the morning.  I decided yesterday that I would run on Sunday.  Yesterday afternoon, I got in the car to go to Blick's Art Supply and Whole Foods.  I drove 5 miles down Sawmill Road, lot of traffic, lots of stopping and starting.  When I got out of my car at Blick's, I had intense pain in my right shin!  What the heck?  As I was driving home, I realized that the motion of putting my foot on and off the brake was aggravating my leg.  Just that short amount of time and my leg was all messed up.  I got up this morning and it hurt just a tiny bit.  I got ready to run and less than a 1/2 mile from home it started hurting so much that I had to go home.  I walked home and took some Advil.  Bob thinks I have a stress fracture and I should get it x-rayed.  I don't think it is a stress fracture, but I have no issue with going to a doctor and getting an x-ray.  I am getting pretty stressed myself.  I am roughly 2 weeks behind now on my increase of mileage with only 5 weeks to go.  I guess if this isn't a serious injury, I'll find a way to get back on track.  If it is a bad injury, then I am screwed.

As I said before, I really think it is shin splints.  I just did some reading about them, and it sounds like what I have.  Found this helpful in reading:

Prevention: If you experience shin pain when running, it may be because of weak anterior tibalis muscles, which are on the front side of your lower leg. This muscle is responsible for flexing the foot upward and, because it's often underdeveloped in non-runners, you may experience shin pain if you're new to running or you increase your distance too quickly. Do these toe raises and heel raises a few times a week to develop the muscle and prevent shin splints.

I also watched a video (Jonathon E. Stewart, About.com) on how to prevent and how to treat shin splints.  Pretty basic stuff but the guy was quirky.  When he talked about wearing the proper footwear, he finished this part by saying "so remember to think twice before taking a spin in your favorite strappy shoes or sandals, it only takes a pop top to blow out a flip flop!".  then when he was talking about stretching he said it wouldn't hurt to "air dry your toes with the alphabet a couple of times a day".  I don't even know what that one means.

Carson knocked that kid down!
7 hours later....I went to Carson's soccer game this afternoon.  One of Buzz's partners, RJ Nowinski has 2 boys that are on Carson's team.  I asked RJ about the boys' Mom, Erin.  She ran in the Boston Marathon Monday.  Apparently she passed out and of course then wasn't able to finish.  I don't know the details, but feel so bad for her.  I know she worked hard for this and we had exchanged messages Sunday night and she was optimistic.  While talking to RJ and his wife Candace, I mentioned my marathon and problem.  RJ said I really should rule out a stress fracture.  He said he'd take me to his office right after the game.  We did go to his office.  They are opened on the weekend for urgent care visits.  He had my leg x-rayed.  He could not see anything, but said that it is rare to be able to see a stress fracture on an xray.  Usually you will see them much later as they heal when you can see the calcification.  He said that I need an MRI.  The scheduling lady will call me tomorrow.  He told me to wear the boot that I have from when I broke my foot.  He said it will do nothing to speed the healing, but will provide stability and comfort.  I have not worn it yet.  He also said that if I have a stress fracture, I will not be running a marathon in May.  This has not been a good day.

Enough crying and feeling sorry for myself.  This morning I really wanted to get hyped up for a good run.  We spent a lot of this weekend watching the Shrek movies.  I love those movies.  There are a few songs done by Smash Mouth that I really like from his movie.  Not sure I ever heard these songs (by Smash Mouth) before this movie, but you know how it is when you first hear a song in a movie, it just sticks with you that much faster than if you heard it on the radio.  I decided last night that I would download these songs to my phone to listen to them today.  All Star was meant to pump me up for a great run today!  Hey now you're a rock star!!!  ( well maybe not after all)

Shrek Cast!
Somebody once told me the world is gonna roll me
I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed
She was looking kind of dumb with her finger and her thumb
In the shape of an "L" on her forehead

Well the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb

So much to do so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets
You'll never know if you don't go
You'll never shine if you don't glow

Hey now you're an All Star get your game on, go play
Hey now you're a Rock Star get the show on get paid
And all that glitters is gold

Only shooting stars break the mold
It's a cool place and they say it gets colder
You're bundled up now but wait 'til you get older
But the meteor men beg to differ
Judging by the hole in the satellite picture

Smash Mouth
The ice we skate is getting pretty thin
The waters getting warm so you might as well swim
My world's on fire how about yours
That's the way I like it and I'll never get bored

Somebody once asked could I spare some change for gas
I need to get myself away from this place
I said yep what a concept
I could use a little fuel myself
And we could all use a little change
Well the years start coming and they don't stop coming
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb
So much to do so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets
You'll never know if you don't go
You'll never shine if you don't glow
 Smash Mouth is not my usual kind of band but I like some of their work.  In addition to All Star they have a recording of the Monkees, I'm a Believer and the Beatles, Getting Better.  They also played at a Gumby birthday party, gotta love that!

4 comments:

  1. The working of the supplement has been kept consistent with the objective Nutralu Garcinia that the body isn't exhibited to any harm. All customers of the supplement require that the supplements they use should not hurt interchange parts of their body and should not make any mischief the physical conditions of the body. Experts tackle the trademark components for a particular time span and a short time later find the ones that are the best. Starting now and into the foreseeable future, the components for the supplement were picked. The producers expected to guarantee that their thing isn't risky to the prosperity of the customers in any way.
    http://bit.ly/2GhHBt7

    ReplyDelete

  2. Andro Testo Pro A topic that is important to all men is that of male penis male enlargement. Men have an instinctive need to ensure they are able to perform at the optimum level. Having this ability is part of a healthy male psyche that leads to self confidence. In this article we are going to look at the 3 foundational rules for growing a bigger penis. In my opinion all legitimate Male Enhancement incorporate facets of each one of these three T's and failure to utilize them all with ultimately lead to disappointing results. Continue reading as we lay them out and have a look! Read on.
    http://tiny.cc/AndroTestoPro

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might need to take it with a grain of salt. What do you need to know before you get began with Skin Serum? I comprehend it because I used to be precisely like you. You can be sure that will really occur again. Do not take using that seriously. You might relax and forget as it concerns Skin Cream. I, truly, have to catch Anti Aging Cream. You won't be able to use all the different Skin Serum features.

    Instalift Serum UK
    Instalift Cream UK
    Instalift UK
    Instalift UK
    Instalift Serum
    Instalift Serum UK
    Instalift Cream UK
    Instalift
    Instalift UK
    Instalift Cream UK

    ReplyDelete

  4. Even if the store doesn't have the Tech Gadgets. that you are searching for it doesn't hurt to talk to the proprietor even though we'll begin with ideas. I presume

    that is making sense. I'd always heard of Tech Gadgets prior to that occasion.


    AOL support number
    powervolt energy saver

    ReplyDelete